Early Childhood Lead Teacher Position for Great Start Program
Scope of Position: We are looking for a teacher that loves children and wants to be part of an exciting new venture. We are opening a new Great Start Readiness 4 year old Preschool Program with the added value of reaching out to both hearing and deaf/hard of hearing children. The classroom will include American Sign Language as an opportunity for all children to learn and be ready for a lifetime of learning.
The Great Start Readiness program (GSRP) Pre School Teacher is responsible for all aspects of planning, assessing and instructing 4-year olds, based on the needs of each child and the requirements of the GSRP program. The GSRP Pre School Teacher is also responsible for maintaining program quality and documentation as outlined in the GSRP Implementation Manual, Preschool Program Quality Assessment (“PQA”) and DHS licensing guidelines.
- Teaching experience with early childhood/preschool children, particularly with at-risk children, particularly deaf or hard of hearing.
- A completed HighScope Preschool Curriculum Course or equivalent training or experience. It may be possible to be “in process” or a training schedule can be implemented.
- Introduction to or fluent in American Sign Language (ASL). Ideally, to be certified to teach ASL.
- Certification in CPR and First Aid (can be achieved as required).
- Knowledge of current research on early childhood literacy.
- Knowledge of the Preschool Program Quality Assessment (PQA) and its relationship to quality experiences for young children.
- Skill in providing effective learning experiences that foster academic growth in a developmentally appropriate manner.
- Work effectively, make decisions, and problem solve collaboratively within a team.
- Work well with diverse families and engage parents as full partners in their child’s learning.
- Ability to act as a resource person for families.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with students, parents, and teachers.
- Implement developmentally-appropriate instruction for children using research-based curriculum
- Follow the daily schedule as outlined in the curriculum and GSRP guidelines
- Conduct screening and ongoing assessment of children and provide age-appropriate instructional support
- Meet with Early Childhood Specialist as needed to ensure quality programming and maintain a high-level PQA rating
- Attend staff meetings, workshops, and other scheduled program activities as requested
- Consider the associate teacher an essential member of the teaching team
- Collaborate with the associate teacher in planning, team meetings, troubleshooting, and decision-making
- Empower the associate teacher to monitor behavior and support the educational process in the classroom
- Participate in home visits with associate teacher to partner with parents to meet the educational needs of their children
- Organize and maintain records for grant and licensing purposes
- Create and update anecdotal records and portfolios for each child
- Complete required progress reports and other paperwork
- Participate in recruitment efforts, including open houses and round-ups, and assist in student selection
- Schedule parent/family activities
- Able to work flexible hours as needed for family involvement activities, including home visits, recruitment events, open house.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelors or higher in Early Childhood or Childhood Development or related field.
- Meet all requirements established by the Michigan Department of Human Services.
- Teaching experience with children, particularly with at-risk children.
- A completed HighScope Preschool Curriculum Course or equivalent training or experience. It may be possible to be “in process.”
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Employment Date: Pending approval and satisfactory completion of pre-employment physical, drug screen and criminal history checks. This program and related positions are conditional upon approval of Child Care Program licensing.
Location: 5323 Southfield Rd., Allen Park, MI 48101
Employment Type: Full time, Non-union, at-will position
Procedure: Please send an email of interest and resume to:
Michele A. Jones